[alac-forum] Web services & other non-HTML services
  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac-forum] Web services & other non-HTML services
  • From: Benoit Marchal <bmarchal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:04:29 -0800
  • Sender: <owner-alac-forum@xxxxxxxxx>

Sitefinder make the assumption that the only application of domain
names is for HTML-based web servers.
This is factually incorrect, other application exists and more are
intended in the future. I am particularly concerned over web services,
i.e. automated web transactions.
More than human-oriented services (who can easily accommodate a
change), automated services depend on stability of the chore services.
Given that it is expected that web services importance will grow in the
future and much innovation is expected in that space, I think it would
be foolish to ignore these (and other) protocols when reviewing
sitefinder.

--ben
www.marchal.com