public comment on .org redelegation - please post
  • To: org-eval@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: public comment on .org redelegation - please post
  • From: "Mark"<pacificmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:57:06 -0400
  • Sender: pacificmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ISOC's Own Auditors Raise Doubts About Its Continued Viability...

The Board should take a careful look at the financial documents that ISOC
itself filed in its application to run .org.  I was shocked to discover today
that ISOC's own auditors wrote that "current liabilities exceeded current
assets by $435,769 and total liabilities exceeded total assets by $269,575.
These factors, and others discussed in Note 8, raise substantial doubt about
the Internet Society's ability to continue as a going concern."  (This is from
Appendix A1 of the ISOC application -- Internet Society Financial Statements.)

Wow.  I had some doubts about ISOC's ability to handle a registry, especially
by trying to create a brand new organization.  (Remember how long it took the
new gTLDs to get started?  And .org is an existing database that has to be
operational immediately - a much more difficult job).  But now I'm even more
baffled as to why ISOC is being recommended.

I've been following ICANN issues for a long time.  I'm keeping my fingers
crossed the Board will make a safer selection.