Score: 5
Subject: Management of .ORG bid by ISOC ,  letter of  support from ISOC-AU

Copy below of our letter of support dated June 17th, 2002

Page 1 of 1pages

The Internet is for Everyone!
Internet Society of Australia
A Chapter of the Internet Society
ABN 36 076 406 801
P .O . B o x 1 5 2  C i v i c S q u a r e A C T 2 6 0 8  A u s t r a l i a  http://www.isoc-au.org.au/
T e l +6 1 2 6 2 5 7 5 5 4 4  M o b i l e 0 4 1 2 1 2 8 7 5 5  E m a i l ed@isoc-au.org.au

Dear ICANN Board Members,
I am writing to advise that the Internet Society of Australia (ISOC-AU) would be very happy for the
Internet Society (ISOC) to be involved in managing the .org registry.
ISOC-AU is the Australian chapter of ISOC and we are committed to the ISOC vision for development
of the Internet, particularly that The Internet is for Everyone! ISOCs central role, as a non-profit
organisation, in development of the Internet for the benefit of all people and countries is undisputed.
Therefore ISOC is well placed to contribute to effective management and governance for the domain
focused on non-profit organisations: .org.

As a long time supporter of the Internet, I have been involved in ISOC's activities and am currently
President of the Australian chapter of ISOC. I believe that ISOC involvement bid would be good for
.org and good for the Internet community for a number of reasons.
First, as one of the oldest 'Internet institutions' ISOC has long led activities that contribute to an open
and stable Internet. Through its current initiatives in support of education and training, Internet
standards and protocol, and public policy, ISOC has played a critical role in ensuring that the Internet
has developed in a stable and open manner. ISOC also provides a voice to the many talented
individuals who wish to contribute to these issues and serves as a global community for issues critical
to the Internet's development. Additionally, ISOC supports the open mechanisms that are so
important in enabling true consensus on key Internet developmental issues.

Further, I believe that ISOC's mission of ensuring "the open development, evolution and use of the
Internet for the benefit of all people of the world" is in full harmony with the goals of .org. For 10
years ISOC has run international network training programs for developing countries and these
programs continue to play a vital role in setting up the Internet connections and networks in virtually
every country that has connected to the Internet in the last 8 years.
Second, ISOC's plans for .org will enable it to flourish as a truly global home for non-commercial
interests on the Internet. Though well established, .org remains well short of its true potential, and
ISOC, as evidenced by the breadth of both its past and current undertakings, can be a credible force
in furthering the value of .org to the non-commercial organizations across the world. As a non-commercial
entity itself, we believe ISOC will make an effective and trustworthy steward for the
domain.

I ask you to look favourably upon the Internet Society involvement in governance of .org. Their
appointment as the registry manager for this very important domain would be highly beneficial.

Yours sincerely,
Tony Hill
President
17 June 2002    

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy