Return to .org Reassignment Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: iammstein
Date/Time: Thu, August 22, 2002 at 10:15 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Clarification of eGrants.org intention

On behalf of eGrants.org, I wish to clarify the intention of our support letters. 

On August 8, 2002, I added my voice of support to the concept of non-commercial validation as a way to improve the integrity of the .org Internet address.  We continue to believe that promotion of a validation program will help build public confidence in making online philanthropic transactions and that validation is a critical component in growing this public confidence.  eGrants.org has a validation program as part of its business operation and feels it is a vital tool.  It was not our intention to single out the DotOrg Foundation as the only bidder that was proposing an ideal system.  It was our intention to encourage the ICANN Board to consider this an important issue when evaluating bids.

On August 14, I commented that the issue of accountability is the single most important issue that should drive the ICANN Board's selection decision.  We specifically mentioned by name our support for two of the bidders.  The .Org Foundation has proposed setting up the direct election of a majority of board members by the at-large community of noncommercial users.  The Internet Multicasting Society and the Internet Software Consortium have put forward a model of accountability that comes from traditional Internet approaches to transparency. For example, all their software will be freely available with no restrictions in source and binary form. It's a high form of accountability that also has the potential to drive down costs.

Sincerely,

Michael Stein
Associate Director
eGrants.org

The Presidio, Box 29256, San Francisco, CA 94129-0256
http://www.egrants.org/
info@egrants.org

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy