Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Thu, June 1, 2000 at 11:21 PM GMT (Thu, June 1, 2000 at 7:21 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Re: comments on nomination rules

>>1.  People who are nominated outside the Nominating Committee's
>>should be called public candidates, not self-nominees.  The
>>"self-nominee" designation is degrading and a misnomer of the >process
>>by which one gets on the ballot through this alternative to the
>>Nomination Committee slate.

>I fail to see how calling a person a "self-nominee" is degrading. It >means that the person put themselves up for nomination - which is >_exactly_ what is happening here. How is it degrading?

>At most one can say that one isn't "really" a nominee until one is >on the ballot, but that is being officious and picking nits, IMNSHO.

First of all, I agree that the term "self nominee" is degrading.  It makes the nominee look and feel as though he/she is tooting his/her own horn and could not be nominated in any other way.

Second, why should that be the only case for public nominations?  Usually, nominees come from the general membership and are seconded.  I should think that self nomination AND nomination by members should be allowed, plus only a second should be needed to place the nominee on the ballot.  The nominee can always decline the nomination.

Additionally, the entire process smacks of collusion on the part of the existing board to prevent true bottom-up representation.  The 10% figure is unrealistic and unworkable, in my opinion.  The window available to gain the required support under the circumstances is also not feasible, again preventing true representation by the membership.

Simple rights are being violated throughout the entire process.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy