Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jsheldon
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 5:42 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: nominating committee + self-nomination

I concur with many of the remarks made on this board regarding problems with the nominating committee structure.  First of all, it takes away power from the at-large membership, by basically defining the parameters of who they may elect.

The 10% requirement seems awfully high-- given that this is a virtual environment-- and look at how pitiful voter turnout in real elections are-- given that candidates spend huge sums of money and do mass-mailings and telephone calls.  To expect people to get 10% seems unrealistic.  Besides, large numbers of candidates would be less of a problem under the multiple elimination voting that ICANN has proposed.

Only letting you nominate one candidate for the ballot also seems unfair.  In almost any real election, you are allowed to sign the petitions for any number of candidates.  The idea is that by signing, you think the person deserves to be put on the ballot and considered as a candidate, not that you are going to vote for them personally.  I think that it would make much more sense that if I saw 10 candidates that I thought would be good people to run, I could sign their petitions rather than having to pick 1-- what if say only half of the voting membership visits the candidates trying to nominate pages and sites and each picks a different one.  None of them would get on the ballot.  What would be the harm in letting people sign on for multiple candiates?

My final question: besides this public comment forum-- what sort of say do we have in the process?  It seems like there are very few replies from anyone in a position of power in this forum.  Are these comments being recorded?  Can ICANN at-large members propose amendments to future election processes and have them voted on in the at-large election?

James

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy