Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Nestor_DR
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 10:18 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: SELF-NOMINEE/ICANN NOMINEE/ BOARD-MEMBER ELECT MUST FIRST GET PHYSICAL INTRA-REGIONAL MAJORITY VOTE

Dear Election Committee:

I strongly believe that many of the nation-states or ccTLDs that will be purportedly represented by candidates, be-it self-nominated or otherwise, do not (and will not) have a clue as to what is going on and that these elections are taking place. Such an important decision and process will have very direct and real impact on the civil rights, property rights and human rights of the residents and citizens of the represented countries/regions (i.e., intra-regionally).  To this end, I propose that the rules be more specific so as to ensure that the self-nominees, ICANN Nominees, and the Membership At Large elected Board members do have the intra-Regional popular endorsement, not only of the Net Citizens (i.e., the Membership At Large), but also of the individual ccTLDs, and more importantly of the duly-elected-representative to speak/vote for the people, who may not have the means to access the Internet and/or whose needs are known by the elected-officials, of each respective country/nation-state.  Undeniably, each local government (within each given Region) will get a direct impact from the works of ICANN and the Board. It is only fair and appropriate that the Election Committee Recommendations address this intra-Regional legitimacy issue and propose viable solutions for this purpose.

So as to not just identify the problem, I'm offering suggested language, which you can consider and change as you deem appropriate provided that you develop a workable solution to the aforementined issues. So here is proposed language toward the development of fainess and appropriate representation by Candidates, elected Regional Board-members:

I kindly urge that you consider adopting the following recommendation:

"Self-nominated and ICANN chosen candidates must each get a mojority vote from among all the official ccTLD representatives AND the official nation-state/legal-body-for-each-nation-state for the region that the candidate represents in order for the popular vote to stand. In order for the general/popular vote to over-rule the "regional representative's majority vote", the general/popular vote must be two-third (2/3) in favor of the candidate-elect with no more than half of the total votes originating from citizens of the same country/nation-state/ccTLD as the candidate-elect; the same applies for ccTLD majority vote outcome versus the popular vote majority outcome. If the ccTLD majority vote conflicts with the nation-state majority vote, the one with the biggest, normalized, majority vote -- or a tiebraker vote included in the ballot -- shall prevail." 

Very Truly Yours,

Nestor Requeno
Los Angeles, California USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy