Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Anthony 2nd
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 12:39 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: This is the problem

You say what a many of us have said for a long time now.

Clearly ICANN and IOD do not get on.

There was a good example of that in one of the ICANN web casts where Mr Ambler asked Ken Stubbs why he had over ridden the DNSO decision after it took them five years to make it. He wouldn't answer and abruptly ended the meeting, packing away his stuff while Mr Ambler shouted disparaging remarks at him. I'm not sure if that was before or after they went to court?? In any case IOD sued KEn Stubbs and CORE for tradmark infringement of ".web". While the court went to summary jugement because old trademark law could not be applied to new the gTLDs - there was little doubt that Ken Stubbs had stolen the idea and CORE was trying to use it for itself.

Now it is clear that these parties are not the best of friends.

It is still the case that IOD has been at the frontier of trying to badger IANA and then ICANN into implementing its .web registry.

Unlike many of the other pioneers (and there were several) they haven't gone away. Their persistence has lead to this situation.

Whether you support IOD or not it still took five years for the DNSO group to form a consensus on a single point - in the meantime they travelled around the world quite happily for their meetings (as one does).

Regarding Christopher Ambler - of course they find him annoying. That is highlighted by the number of personal insults (such as someone registering as Christophe Rambler and GoodriddenceIOD and so on).

It would be very nice for these people to see him fail. His idea is now up for public auction and many other parties want to make money from it.

Personally I know Mr Ambler by email only. He has helped me on many occasions and has (irritatingly) always given a balanced and unbiased opinion on the proceedings. I have several emails from him telling me to have faith that the process will be fair and open after I have emailed him moaning that it is anything but.

Now it is the case that there really is no reason why IOD cannot have their .web online.

There are three applications:

Neulevel (JVTeam) lost a half of their company in the part of their application that was for .web, their application was consistently wrong throughout and they have much stronger applications for all of their other choices. I couldn't get my browser to load the bad points of the Neustar application. I got "Document: Done" right after the good points loaded!

Afilias provides a strong application and so it should. Afilias is the internet of the year 2000. The question is really whether or not Afilias should be allowed for grow in size. Monopolies like this can hinder the market. Nevertheless their application is equally strong fro .web, .info and .site. Their financial predictions are the same for all three and so the praise from ICANN applies equally to all three. By ICANNS own summary it would make no difference at all to the internet if they gave Afilias .web or .info.

IOD provides a strong application and so it should. It has devoted its time and energy to planning for this for five years. There can be no better application than this one. Over twenty thousand people have decided that it would not be posible to put together a better application and paid up front. Thats pretty good testimony.

Much of the criticism here is aimed at Marc Brittain - a man who has irritatingly bagged a lot of good names that any of us can think of!

Actually he registered about 400 I think. I must have found about fifty to a hundred just thinking of good names off the top of my head.

The point is though that no "ordinary" person would usually get at these names anyway. The annonymous individuals here that attack him must be quite high up at Afilias or it wouldn't be an issue with them either.

If someone else wins the lottery and you didn't buy a ticket for the lottery you shouldn't moan and say another company shoud RUN the lottery (not unless you're a bit odd anyway).

I liked uk.web Marc Brittain registered it first (drat!) just as someone else has registered uk.com, uk.net, uk.co.uk and so on. Its most likely that uk.info will be taken by the time the public can get at it just as uk.de, .tv ,.md etc etc et care all taken. I know I'll get over it and think of something else! It doesn't help to wish bad things on IOD or Mr Britain does it?

You can bet anything though that after Afilias's sunrise period that UK.web would be unavailable anyway. Its not a trademark - just a nice site.

The people here that support IOD do so for many reasons. Some have spent money others see that it is whats right and just, others see that its whats best for the net while others have the same point of view but because of the Afilias Monopoly rather thatn IOD's merrits.

The Afilias supporters tend to attack IOD (often with names like saynotoIOD and noIOdear). They are here to bad mouth IOD (but strangelky not JVTeam). Perhaps its more personal between these individuals and IOD.

Afilias clearly sees IOD as their biggest threat for .web, interestingly this is reflected in both appraisals from ICANN.        

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy