Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: sunshine
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 2:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Please see the magnitude of this - it's not IOD vs. ICANN

***********If you do not see the magnitude of this decision, and the choice of Afilias as the beginning of the end of an era in the Internet, then there is nothing I can say that will make sense to you.**********

What is occurring right now with Afilias has been predicted since the beginning of ICANN's formation. All of it: The abuse of absolute power by ICANN, the use of ICANN by wealthly groups to control the Internet, etc.

Unless ICANN changes the entire tone and direction of this TLD selection process, I simply don't see how educated human beings could want them to continue to operate. If Afilias is chosen for ANY TLD, we, the people, all people, any company, every company, lose any chance of EVER running a registry. That may not be your goal, and it's certainly not mine, (to run a registry), but the possibility of it is gone forever, nonetheless. And we'll lose other rights as well. Don't like the customer service? Oh well, no other choice. Don't like the fee imposed to change DNS info? Oh well, no other choice. We will lose many, many rights - and the ability to *choose*. The power stays with the powerful, once and forever.

Make no mistake about it - this decision is a dividing line in Internet history, and choosing Afilias is the wrong fork in the road.
"Competition" at the registry level will never happen.
--M Lynn

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy