Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: pgreenwell
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 8:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Gross inaccuracies in IOD .web review

I recently finished reading the ICANN staff "Report on TLD applications" and would like the board and public to know that I have personal knowledge that there are substantial errors made by the auditors in their review of the IOD application for .web with regards to access to technical resources.

Specifically, the following statement was made with regards to the IOD
application:

" In the judgment of the technical team, the small pool of talent
available to Image Online Design is a very serious deficiency in Image Online Design's proposal. Given the lack of identified technical and management resources, the technical evaluation team concluded that there is a very significant risk that  Image Online Design will not be able to react quickly to unpredictable surges in demand, especially during the critical startup period. A failure to service a global customer base on a 24x7 basis, particularly during the initial startup period, could fatally damage the
reputation of the new TLD. "

This statement is made without merit, and is in direct contradiction with statements made in the written application provided to ICANN. In the application IOD identified UltraDNS, a provider of high-availability, highly-scalable DNS services as an outsource provider for a significant portion of their infrastructure.

I would like to offer some highlights of the talent and experience UltraDNS brings to the IOD application.

Combined the UltraDNS team has:

over 115 years in systems, communications and network technology

85+ years in just internet technology development alone

45+ years in building global networks with advanced routing and performance parameters

30 years in designing and deploying advanced database systems

Further, they have an exceptional management team, led by CEO Steve Kalman formerly of Softbank, CTO Steve Hotz who studied under Jon Postel, and many, many other talented and seasoned individuals.

The providing of a significant portion of the infrastructure needed to operate .web by UltraDNS to IOD should also call into serious question the validity of objections raised by the business/financial auditors with regards to the need for substantial up-front capital.
As to where my personal knowledge of these matters stems from, I am the former
Director of Operations at UltraDNS, and the person responsible for
introducing IOD to UltraDNS.

For the record, I am no longer employed by UltraDNS, nor have I ever received anything of value from IOD. My statements are made simply because I find the grossly incorrect and misleading statements made by the auditors to be an affront to the principles of a fair, balanced, and well-reviewed process. While I believe there to much
more wrong with the staff report related to the IOD application,
I am restricting my comments to those items I have personal knowledge of.

I would like to close by calling on ICANN to provide the detailed, written audits made by ICANN staff and outside parties to the public in the interest of openness, transparancy, and so that interested parties might be afforded the opportunity to judge for themselves the merits and veracity of auditors statements.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy