Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: doc again
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 12:36 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.73 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Whats going on? Dont you people HAVE monopoly laws in America???

This is really where I take issue with Afilias's proposal.

Next base was a small UK firm that pioneered the "Autoroute" program on the PC.

Version 1 was good, version 2 was very good, version 3 looked really nice and ran on windows. It was better than the microsoft version (automap I think it was called).

Version 4 was bought by Mirosoft. It was released as Autoroute 4 in the UK and Automap 4 in the US. Registered owners were encouraged to send in the older versions in exchange for Microsoft products.

Having bought the better competition, removing them from the market the price more than doubled.

Sure Microsoft make good software (to a point) but the problem with a monopoly is that it stifles competition.

Exactly the same thing just happened with the Microsoft Game Voice. The microsoft product was not as good so they bought the entire rival company - now its a department at Microsoft!

I don't envy Microsoft for what htey have achieved. I just think it would be a mistake to repeat the whole thing again.

I use Netscape. I like the program but they very nearly went bankrupt because of the internet explorer 3 issue.

Now people can choose to use Internet Explorer because they like it - not because it is all thats available.

There are principals at issue here.

Vodaphone (UK) recently bought Manesman Telecom (Germany).

Manesman had bought Orange (UK) a short while earlier.

Hence - for a time Orange was a part of Vodaphone.

That meant that Vodaphone owned two out of four mobile phone companies in the UK.

It was deemed to be unacceptable and anti-competitive and they had to sell Orange (to France Telecom).

Now there are still four companies and all four are offering calls at around 2 - 5 pence per minute.

Vodaphone used to charge me around 50 pence per minute. The calls are clearer, the coverage is better, the phones are cheeper and still the call charges are falling.

This free market is a good example of it working well for the consumer.

Now if Vodaphone had just taken over Orange - what would have happened then?

Afilias, Arthur Anderson and ICANN would have us believe that the two departments within the same company would provide competition in the market. It really is silly isn't it?       

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy