Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Mario
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 8:15 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Readers of "Tragedy and Hope" would not be surprised by ICANN's behavior!

If anyone has ever read just a few chapters of this great book of history, then their perspectives on politics, business, religion, humanity, etc. probably have been irreversibly changed forever.  What this book highlights, amongst other things, is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.  At ICANN, we may again be witnessing another chapter unfold of absolute power corrupting absolutely.  We should all ask ourselves just what will happen to the Board of Directors should they be found guilty of abusing their priveleged rights to make the crucial selections this week.  In my humble opinion, not much.  Will the court of law pierce the corporate veil and go after each Board Member and press civil and/or criminal charges against them?  Not in your wildest dreams.  The simple truth of the matter is that they are the untouchables.  After the decision is made, a few Board Members will leave and others will stay behind.  ICANN will bank on the fact that human retention on such events will only be a few months at best.  Thereafter, things will return to normal.  I think we all have a fairly good idea of the winners and losers in this competition.  Simply hiring supposed outside parties to evaluate applications doesn't convince me that ICANN is acting fairly.  Instead, I see ICANN standing behind such parties in order to shield itself from all the ensuing lawsuits that might be filed.  Also, excusing oneself from voting does not excuse the fact that various applicants have had an inside track to ICANN during the past several weeks (if not several months).  But those that have read "Tragedy and Hope" would hardly find this surprising, only depressing since things haven't really changed all that much over the past several hundred years.  Finally, if you really want irony in this whole picture, consider the fact that Clinton actually read "Tragedy and Hope".  What was he thinking when he set up ICANN?  What was I thinking when I voted for him?  Stupid me!  How unfortunate to think that I may have contributed to history repeating itself yet one more time.  Maybe the next President will shake ICANN a little bit, only who might that be?  What was that song that Tina Turner sang about history?  Don't bother responding to this message because opposing views will not even be entertained!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy