Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Victor_L
Date/Time: Tue, November 14, 2000 at 7:05 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: WWW Mess

Dear ICANN,

The recent proposals for new top level domains are rather interesting in terms of how most the applicants want to perpetuate the mess that is WWW. In my opinion, the proposals can be sorted into three groups. First, those that are analogous to .com. Second, those who have policies aimed at making a particular TLD suit a particular purpose like .kids and .xxx. Clearly, these are trying to address issues that have arisen during the growth of the Internet. Third, those TLDs that have policies to reduce the current problems on the WW such as the .biz application of Affinity Internet.  With regards to this latter application, I am left wondering, "How many of the registered .com names are actually in use?"  For a business, does anyone consider trademarks when these things are assigned?  Why not?  The answer is that nobody wants to shut the door on anyone who wants a URL.  I agree.  However, I believe that if someone is using the internet to make money then they should be prepared to pay for it.  If the cost is prohibitive to individuals but acceptable to business then that's fine provided that they are using the internet to make money. 

Only one proposal I've seen really strikes me as trying to do something different.  They
want $2000 for a URL and $150 per year.  The only reason to pay that much is that you can make money from it.  How many URLs are for sale by squatters?  Your attempts to crack down on squatting are to be commended but I can't help but wonder how tedious it is.  If you want to make the web a bit more organized it would not hurt to make it more specialized, in other words, why not let the TLD mean something?

I don't understand the rational in issuing new TLDs if you have no intention of trying to
differentiate them.  While I'm sure that you can tell me the difference between .COM, .WEB and .NET I'm quite sure that I'll never figure it out by just looking at the webpages with those TLDs.  If it costs $25 to register a personal webpage or $25 to register a business webpage then what really is the difference?  What criteria can you use to determine which is which?  How can you tell if I'm in business or not.  How can you be sure?

If a company is serious about web business then they should not mind paying $2000 for a URL.  If they are not serious about business on the web then they can take a .NET or .COM address and if the business grows then they can move to a .BIZ address later. 

You might ask yourself why I feel that the .BIZ address will still be available for a
company that does not have one but has established a business through another TLD.  The answer is simple.  The address will be available because nobody is going to pay $2000 to squat on addresses.  That's the whole point.  Of course, squatting can also be prevented in other ways, but demand will be decreased only by increasing costs.

Incidentally, if you think that $2000 is prohibitive for a URL to set up business on the
web then you should consider how prohibitively expensive it is to apply (with no guarantees
or refunds) for a TLD! Clearly, by these arguments, you should have received no applications. You could argue that you don't have time to sift through all kinds
of proposals to tell the good from the wasteful but in truth you are using money to separate those who are serious and dedicated from those who are not.  If you apply this logic to TLD selection then why not apply it to URL selection?

thoughtfully,
Victor Lonmo

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy