Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Eliahu
Date/Time: Wed, November 15, 2000 at 4:55 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: A Few Words About "Sunrise"

Dear HMG,

With your permission, I am going to be blunt.  You do not know what you are talking about.

Without the "sunrise" provision, you, as a little guy, have as good a chance of obtaining an excellent .web, .info, or .site, as anyone else.  This would not be fair to the multi-national corporations, to Afilias, or to ICANN.

Let me put it another way.  Afilias only has the ability to register 2,000 names a second.  They "require" a number of months headstart, or you, as a little guy irritant, might cause them, to lose a premier name, and that would not be fair to them. 

We are talking about fairness here.  Remember, ICANN DEMANDS COMPETITIVE FAIRNESS.

Now, Afilias, I have a suggestion to you.  Since you cannot reserve names fast enough to register every nugget without a few slipping through your fingers, I recommend you reserve the raw ore in advance and register them at your convenience. 

You can have a little sign pop up that says "might be available," to anyone who inquires, and then of course you can immediately make it unavailable.

What's that you say?  You already thought of that.  Silly me.

Eliahu

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy