Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Eliahu
Date/Time: Wed, November 15, 2000 at 6:06 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: This Question Merits An Observation

Dear Rob,

I'm sure you have noticed that ICANN has tried to wriggle itself into a position where it can award .web to Afilias, or the backup position NeuStar.

I'm sure you have also noticed that ICANN has been apprised, through the comment board and elsewhere, of the legal position they will find themselves if should follow their original plans.

If they award .web to IOD as they should, it will not be because they want to, it will be because they feel they are gravely at risk and they wish to protect themselves.

Do to the original arrangements with IANA, ICANN will still find itself defending itself on multiple counts if they try to refuse four years of registrations. 

ICANN and/or IANA could have asked IOD to stop selling registrations at any time in the past four years, but never even hinted at it. 

I cannot see ICANN, at this point, giving itself legal cover by doing the right thing with IOD, and then leaving itself wide open again based on the registrations.

ICANN would be hard pressed to defend the taking of 20,000 registrations which will be re-registered again within minutes after the ICANN approved official registrar opens for business.

However, I have not yet accused ICANN of thinking through its decisions, so you never know.

Eliahu

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy