Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: CraftsmanRS
Date/Time: Wed, November 15, 2000 at 8:05 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Navigator V3.0 using Windows 3.1
Score: 5
Subject: Only TWO General TLD's?

With the dearth of TLD applications filed under the General heading, why must consideration be given to only two and these two in particular? ".biz" would seem to be "content-identical" to ".com" and ".web" is the equivalent of "www".

Couldn't we have some new Generals that reflect user groups between these and the Restricted Commercial category? Those of particular interest to me as a business owner are ".shop" and ".store". Forgetting for the moment that when I first heard new TLD's might be considered, I applied for a ".store" domain name, (this was on July 29, 1997!) these TLD's would allow users to determine that a site was actually engaged in e-commerce, rather than the net equivalent of a yellow pages ad. Perhaps the distinction means that these would need to be considered as Restricteds instead, but they seem to provide a level of distinction between the two proposed groups.

I am also probably not the only applicant who is wondering whether the structure of grants of these new TLD's will allow for old applications to be considered, especially if they were not filed with the grantees. Would ICANN press grant applicants to consider those of us who have "toiled in vain"?

Alan Wagner, owner       

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy