Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gordon
Date/Time: Thu, November 16, 2000 at 4:43 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.74 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: distance between URL names and the problems of price

Hello,

I was thinking again and I realised that there is something strange in the whole domain name registration system. I will describe it as a distance between names and I will try to explain it briefly.

When one registers a domain name, it reflects them or someone else. For example Micros0ft.com is a domain name I visited for fun once. It was selected because it is similar to Microsoft.com (R). Similarly, we all know about the NameSucks.com web sites that exist. These are attempts to encroach on an existing name. Otherwise stated, these are attempts to reduce the distance between them and the name they want to be close to.

If I want to register a name and maintain distance to other names, I end up registering many different names. For example, widgetco would need to register at least widgetco.com, wijetco.com, widjetco.com,widgitco.com, widjitco.com, widgetcosucks.com, and so on and so forth. Considering 0's for o's and we have a total of 20 domain names already. A little brainstorming and we will expand that further - likely to around 100 domain names (if available). This protects a reasonable space around a name. The cost, well the cost is not cheap but the results are worth it.

Similarly, in trademark law you get protection based on how unique your name is and a likelihood of confusion. Thus widget and wijet will likely be confusing for a same product. If the products are very different, confusion is less likely.

A major problem with .com is establishing this space around your name - preventing others from trading on your name. Just look at ICANNT. I read about it here. It is clearly using the ICANN site goodwill and reputation to improve its trade. There is insufficient space between these names.

Perhaps ICANN should evaluate the proposals to see if anyone provides a system that increases distance between registered names so as to provide people with domain names that actually mean something.

Gordon

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy