Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: USC
Date/Time: Thu, November 16, 2000 at 6:29 AM GMT (Wed, November 15, 2000 at 10:29 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Please choose IOD.  They offer a refreshing outlook to the internet landscape.

I would like to again show my support for IOD's .web application.  According to your evaluation, your harsh remarks about IOD's .web application disappointed me.  Some were substantive but most are simply not true.

I honestly think that IOD has the right to .web.  They had the insight to create the registry four years ago and are the true pioneers in the field.  ICANN's says this:

"Image Online Design proposes to operate a very large registry that will compete directly with .com. Currently, Image Online Design's registry operation is very modest (20,000 names) and, not being part of the DNS root, experiences little traffic." 

Of course the "registry operation" is modest.  But once it is approved by ICANN, it'll skyrocket.  And once it is part of the DNS root, it WILL experience traffic.  You have to give IOD the green light in order to let it flourish in the first place. 

ICANN also says this:

"recruiting from colleges located in the vicinity of San Luis Obispo, California. In contrast, other applicants explicitly identified mature, capable teams and large pools of managerial and technical talent to draw upon. Image Online Design proposes to support both registry and registrar functions during the first year, 3 including during the start-up period. It has proposed no demand throttling mechanism to control initial load from the expected "land rush" during this period."

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is home to leaders in the world of computer science and the internet.  They have the technical talent.  There is nothing lacking about the talent and maturity of internet experts from San Luis Obispo.  In addition, once IOD is approved, it will surely attract talent from all over the world.  ICANN, you are forgetting this important point.   

Just so you know where I'm coming from, a few months ago, when ICANN welcomed suggestions for new top level domains, I submitted EOI statement #22, http://www.icann.org/yokohama/eoi22.htm.  At that time, I intended to sponsor the .web and .biz top level domains.  Now, I have decided to support the .web registry by Image Online Design.  As I look over the applications by both Image Online Design and Afilias for the .web TLD, I am overwhelmingly impressed by IOD's application.

They have been developing the .web TLD since 1995.  That in itself is
worthy of praise.  They had the foresight to come up with a TLD that is catchy, and at the same time, one that can become just as popular as the .com.  This is the World Wide Web, so it makes sense to have a TLD end in .web.  What does .com really stand for?  Commercial?  Commerce?  Company?  From its inherent meaning, .com implies business.  And we all know that .coms exist in the non-business sector.  Therefore, .web is all-encompassing.  It makes perfect sense to include it with .com and .net.

First, I'd like to tell you why I think Afilias would make a poor choice for the .web registry.  As they are vying for 3 different TLDs and IOD is applying for only 1, there is plenty of justification for IOD to be rewarded with its TLD and Afilias with .info and .site.  In addition, the mere fact that the big players in the domain world are involved in Afilias would discourage competition.  I have been upset with Network Solutions and Register for a long time now as they have monopolized the entire industry.  It's time to allow smaller, yet technically sound, registries to come into existence, namely Image Online Design.

Second, I would like to tell you why I think IOD is worthy of
selection.  They had the insight 5 years ago to develop and build this
registry.  They know how to run the registry and have approximately 20,000 registrations all successfully in place.  Consequently, they have proven their ability to exist as a mature and efficient registry.  Their staff is quite courteous as I have dealt with them on numerous occasions.  Peggy Pierce, secretary of IOD, is one of the nicest and most sincere persons I have spoken to.  I have always been impressed with IOD as a personable company.

In conclusion, I would like to once again, EMPHATICALLY state my support for IOD's .web application.  Their registry will allow little people like myself the chance to gain an entity on the web unique from the commonplace .com.  In my opinion, IOD is ready to take the internet into the future, and I am hopeful that you think so too.  Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy