Username: fabrcop
Date/Time: Thu, November 16, 2000 at 5:30 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: Board going on: both good and bad news for IOD

From scribe's note:
cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive/scribe-icann-111600.html

Dyson (I am not sure he was really against .web):
Leaves .web out. But looking for compelling reasons to select applicants, rather than choosing anyone who can fit.

Cerf: Don’t disagree with those suggestions.
           • The .biz and .inc fees would create exclusivity. Interesting idea.
           • IOD’s .web is interesting because it has been in operation for some time. Is their operation compatible with registrar protocols? Not inclined to exclude them from list of potential candidates.
   Touton: Image Online Design has been operating outside the standard root; has been pointed to by a number of alternate roots over the last few years. 18,000 registrations to date, a bit of a surge. System as currently operating is proprietary, single-registrar. IOD proposed to be the sole registrar for a year, dropping to 60% with implementation of a shared registration system. Don’t recall whether protocol perfectly matched the NSI Registry. Proposed to charge $35/year for each registration during the first year. Under competitive registrar model, would charge registry fee of $15 per registrant.

[snip]

Dyson:
Notion of a single registry with a single registrar might not be out of hand in a world of competitive TLDs.
        • Cerf: Failure of either registrar or registry would put at risk the whole TLD at risk under a single-registrar/single-registry model.

-----

Unfortunately I am not able to understand clearly SPOKEN English, expecially by Real Player...

So I have to read scribe's notes to be sure I understand
(they are delayed several minutes)

Fabrizio Coppola
Italy

Link: Scribe's note

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy