Return to Unique Root for DNS Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Slicer
Date/Time: Fri, June 1, 2001 at 2:24 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: We're sorry, but Mr. Lynn is not available right now. Please take a number. (Your number: 666,666)

"Instead of becoming the sole root zone of the internet, why not institute a set of standards that could be adopted by entities willing to establish a modularized root zone that could easily be added to the A root zone and other competing roots."

Okay. So what happens when:

- Each root gives its own authority for .TLDs?

- Some joker makes a program that AUTOMATICALLY creates every single TLD possible that doesn't already exist somewhere, and makes them all point to his site? Wouldn't his information be just as valid as anyone else's? That's right, kids- you mistype .com as .comm and you get sent straight to www.bondagebabes.com ...

- Some joker has another fun root program, distributes it virally, causing computers everywhere to distribute the root information that www.yahoo.com's IP is really that of www.goatse.cx ? (He can already do this to the machines infected by attacking the local DNS cache. It's just the machines NOT infected that I'm talking about.)

- The alterna-roots ALREADY DISAGREE in places. Who the hell is going to have control?

You're really asking for it, and I'm sure that if Mr. Lynn had the free time, he'd be glad to give it to you. But you're just going to have to settle for me instead.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy