Return to wgb Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: flodin
Date/Time: Mon, April 10, 2000 at 3:10 AM GMT (Mon, April 10, 2000 at 1:10 PM EAST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: a .tmk domain good, list of famous brands bad.

I think that creation of a new domain specifically for trademarks and brands is a good idea, but i don't think these should be effectively reserved in any way. I also support this having a higher registration fee, which in itself would deter cybersquatting and unused domains. I agree with other comments on having the registered owner of a trademark being the only one allowed to register in this domain. This is similar to the current situation for the Australian .com.au domain which requires the owner to be a registered business AND the name is clearly derived from the business name. There are still disputes but I believe these to be far fewer and managable. The policing of trademarks should be left with the legal mechanisms that already exists.

Similarly whatever is done at the top levels should be encouraged to be adopted by country registrars (eg .tmk.au in my country) as all brands are not global, and/or they are registered by different entities across the globe.

Quite clearly however the additions of other TLD are required as one of the problems in the first place is that a lot of registrations don't fall in the .com .net or .org categories. This however is outside this Working group.

Peter Flodin

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy