Return to wgb Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Sat, April 15, 2000 at 8:18 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Enough already!

We already have remedies for trademark infringement.  That's enough.  Having a .tmk and allowing only trademark names into that domain seems a good enough policy.  If trademarks are owned by more than one company with different business products/services, then make it first come, first served.  Variations on those names in the other tld's would be allowed, such as a McDonald's franchisee using McDonaldsrestaurant(s), or McDonaldsfastfood, McDonaldsfoodplace, or even an individual with the name McDonald using McDonaldshouse.

I think this tradename infringement garbage is going way too far.  One company sued an individual who's last name was the same as the company's name.  His domain homepage had nothing to do with the other company's business.  It's rediculous.  That is not infringement.  I was married to someone with a famous last name.  It was my legal name.  I used it in conjuction with my business, also legal.  If that company had sued me for dilution, I would have fought tooth and nail.

Let the big bullies have their own tld and leave the rest of us alone.

With the proposed additional gTLDs the policing costs for famous trademark owners will go through the roof as long as the "gold rush" mentality continues to pervade the domain name market.  These spiraling costs will be passed on to the consumers. 
There will be litigation with or without a "famous names list," but it will be significantly reduced with the creation of the list.  If there is no list, registrants may freely register famous names (or variations thereof) and the only remedy for famous mark owners is to litigate or arbitrate to get the names back.  At least with the list there is notice to cybersquatters and some limitations to reduce the policing costs to famous mark owners.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy