Return to wgb Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Sat, April 15, 2000 at 8:55 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I disagree

Why should you not be able to sell real estate?  Free enterprise is just that.  If you have created and registered a domain name, you should have the right to sell your interest in that name.  Trademark is trademark, but it should be exact, not generic.  Apple is apple - a fruit.  Apple Computer is a trademark.  If I sell granny smith apples, Washington apples or any other apples, why can't I register apple?  For that matter, why can't I register that name for books or gifts.  Even further why not appleisnt.com or applenet.com for a user's group?  AND if I have come up with and registered these names, AND they have value to someone else who did NOT come up with the name, why should I not be able to sell my interest in MY legitimate creative effort?

Another area of free enterprise has come into existance.  It has a legitimate place.  We have enough laws on the books to protect trademarks and copyrights.  This country (US) is based on free enterprise.  Let's not dilute it with super restrictions on something like NAMES.  If you look at the auctions for domain names, you will see that very few sell for megabucks.  If people wish to invest in the money and effort it takes to acquire a name and are willing to risk that investment of time and money, it's fair to allow the business to flourish.  Everyone gains.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the original government controls on domain names, or leave it the way it is now, with the exception of adding .tmk and one or two additional gTLD's.  I disagree with .store and .firm, however.  They are too specific.  How do you define a computer store with professional consulting, electronic gaming on site, network techs, etc.?  They would need names in three TLD's.  Too confusing for the average consumer.  Who would fall under .firm?  Lawyers, contractors, doctors?  This internet needs to be as generic as possible for the public. 

Let's save .gov, .mil, .us, .edu, for the obvious reasons and just stop the restrictions on the rest.  As the need arises, add ONE new TLD and DO NOT ALLOW the registrars to buy up thousands of names in advance to prevent the public from having the opportunity to register them.  That includes "sales" "info" "contact" "help" or any other such name.  Good luck to the people who get there first!!!

Everyone should have equal access to names.  Otherwise it becomes
  a legal contest to determine who has the "best right", to which
  there is no easy answer.
Domain Names should NOT be allowed to be sold, because it causes
  "scalping".  Domains should only be allowed to be returned
  the pool.  That way no one can reap profits with Domain Names.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy