Return to wgb Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Sat, April 15, 2000 at 9:06 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: You got that right!

You are so right.  I want to see what happens with microsoftnot.com.  It is not developed and probably for sale.  That's free speech, in my opinion.  We all have the right to publicly complain about anything or anyone, as long as it's true.  I would hate to see the day that the internet is sqashed by censorship by the big companies because they don't like bad PR.  If a group of people, or even one person, are against a company, they should have the right to use such a domain name for the purpose of saying so.  Names like "fordsucks.com" and "microsofnot.com" are obviously just for that purpose.  It would be a real crime if those corporations could squash the names just because they don't like them.  They are certainly not trademark infringements.

First of all, IMHO the WIPO, like industry cartels, only defends the interests of the largest 1% of the companies it theoretically represents.  Nobody cares a whit about Joe's Diner's trademark.

Let's hope that ICANN doesn't attempt to censor the internet this way.  As I've said so many times, we ALREADY have enough laws enacted to protect trademarks.  ENOUGH!
Secondly, the main reason big trademark holders want a sunshine period is so they can kill any and all domains like "fordsucks.com" and "aibokilledmycat.org", regardless of whether those sites present true or false information about a company or its products.  Is that really democratic, or in the best interests of anyone?  It sounds like censorship for sale to me.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy