Return to wgb Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: andrew
Date/Time: Wed, April 19, 2000 at 2:49 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: IPC proposal not a global solution

In the course of the Working Group B's efforts to reach consensus on what protections should be afforded the holders of "famous" names, attention has been drawn to a recent proposal of the Intellectual Property constituency (IPC). The proposal, described in the DNSO Working Group B Interim Report (April 17, 2000) would in effect grant all holders of trademarks and service marks with the opportunity to participate in a "sunrise" period before a new name is opened to the general public. This stance would appear to sidestep many of the difficult issues under debate, and it has found support in both the Registrar and Intellectual Property constituencies. I am opposed to the proposal and urge members of the Names Council to consider it with reservation and caution. While the proposal would at first glance seem to be a straightforward and practical solution to the issue of trademark protection during the test period for new names, I would like to point out what I believe to be a significant point of concern.

The proposal as described in the Interim Report would, if carried out, introduce a tremendous bias towards U.S. and Western firms. Most holders of U.S. trademarks are, not surprisingly, U.S. firms. The implementation of the proposal or some close variant thereof would result in Western firms' ending up with the lion's share of the good, commercially valuable names, seriously disadvantaging non-U.S. businesses and interests. Such a bias goes against the international spirit of the internet as envisioned by Jon Postel, and it does not do justice to ICANN's ostensible role as global steward of the internet domain naming system. Thus, it is my opinion that the Names Council must consider alternatives other than that of a sunrise period for all trademark holders in order to forge a truly global compromise to the issue of famous names protection.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy