Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jmgraham
Date/Time: Thu, April 6, 2000 at 12:23 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: One possible solution

As I understand it, many web-enabled businesses are concerned that the introduction of new global top level domains will cause confusion for consumers trying to locate business web sites and will lead to problems with illegal use of registered trademarks. I think I have a possible solution.

Why not offer a global Top Level Domain (gTLD) that is exclusively reserved for trademark holders - such as ".REG", ".TM", or just plain "." ?

Then open up dozens of new gTLDs and allow people to register any domain name they want in any gTLD except the registered trademarks gTLD domain. The public would be certain which domains were the real trademarked businesses. If there was a special gTLD reserved just for trademark holders, the trademark holders could be required to use it and smaller businesses and the public would be free to register names without the risk of breaking laws.

This would clear up confusion, it would protect trademark holders rights, it would protect the public's rights, it would allow small businesses with similar names to operate on the internet using their own names, it would limit the power of a big business to trample on the rights of a small business with the same name, it would lessen the need for dispute policies, and it would make cybersquatting unprofitable.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy