ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Wild-Card = Not Good

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Wild-Card = Not Good
  • From: "Robert F.Donahue : Webmaster" <Webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:58:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

        This letter is over the practices at verisign.com and their bad way of
doing business, to what amounts to a dictionary Spam attack.... Squatting on
other peoples Domains, Company names, products and more. and redirecting them
to all their competitors!
        Everyone I have emailed so far has just passed the buck and I have
emailed 50+ internet companies. and Verisign never even responded.

        I run a Web server and I host for over 130 sites, now every time I buy
or re-aim a domain name it gets redirected to a verisign page! That Is Not
Funny, They are my names and I had paid for them!
        Take one I am really upset at Http://www.W4RFD.com (KF4CJL) That is one
of my own personal sites and for how ever long it takes the dns servers to
update it was aimed at their hijack page ..... They hi-jacked my callsign and
aimed it at their servers. and worse they were sitting on it from before I
bought it!

        I am a Ham Radio Operator That Call sign was issued to ME by the
"Federal Government", It is My FCC Call sign W4RFD/KF4CJL and NOT to be USED by
anyone or anything else, They used My Federal ID for their Company Gain!

        I buy Domains through GoDaddy and DNS Servers through Zoneedit, if I
dont get a server set up right away, sometimes ... I let them put a Coming Soon
page up, that at least lets people know its coming! and not that they missed it
altogether..... I give "them" that right on most sites ..... (But) verisign.com
is doing it without my acceptance! And redirecting MY traffic to others!

        Now go to Samspade.org and pull a whois kf4lyq.com resolves to
64.94.110.11 That's not my server! Why have they aimed someones call sign at
one of your servers, and what were you thinking gives you that right!

*       They do not just own names before they are bought! and they do NOT have
the right to use them! and They Do Not have the right to redirect traffic to
other websites, I see this as Very bad for the internet as a whole :(

        Closer to home .... my Mom was trying to get a company the other day
and typed the productname.com and see kept asking me why do I keep getting a
search engine of other companies? People just dont know what it is!

        The dot/CC does this but the way its done amounts to a 404 page, at
least it dont redirect you to a competitor!
Http://W4RFD.cc

        The other thing I dont like, it amounts to a billbord, their name is at
the bottom of what should be a 404 page turning it into advertising ...... Say
kmart goes out of business, does that give you the right to put a sign up in
their parking lot!
I wish I had that kind of power :(

I dont like it one d a r n bit, and I want to YELL at someone this is Bad
Business!

[_______________________________________________________________________]
        Robert F.Donahue "Me Bob"
        1992 East Hwy 34 - Newnan, Ga 30265