ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Terms of use - VeriSign

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Terms of use - VeriSign
  • From: "John C. Bruce Jr." <jbrucejr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:48:18 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I spent a few minutes reading the "Terms Of Use" page on the VeriSign
web site, and found some interesting items like:

9. Liability Limitation.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL EITHER PARTY BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER PARTY
FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY
DAMAGES (EVEN IF THAT PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES), ARISING FROM ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT (INCLUDING SUCH
DAMAGES INCURRED BY THIRD PARTIES), SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF
REVENUE OR ANTICIPATED PROFITS OR LOST BUSINESS. YOUR USE OF THE
VERISIGN SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY
OF THE MATERIALS, RESULTS OR OTHER CONTENTS OF THE VERISIGN SERVICES OR
WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT, OR OTHER
POLICIES, YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF THE VERISIGN
SERVICES OR OUR SITE.

10. Sole Remedy.
YOUR USE OF THE VERISIGN SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE
DISSATISFIED WITH ANY OF THE MATERIALS, RESULTS OR OTHER CONTENTS OF THE
VERISIGN  SERVICES OR WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, OUR PRIVACY
STATEMENT, OR OTHER POLICIES, YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF
THE VERISIGN SERVICES OR OUR SITE.

I would strongly argue that I CAN NOT "DISCONTINUE USE" of this service
- it is FORCED on me.  To make items 9 & 10 in the terms of use true,
there
would have to be an "opt-out" to use.

One thing that really bothers me is that I no longer get error messages
from the hosting services about the site I was attempting to access.

JB