ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] verisign's abuse of dns

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] verisign's abuse of dns
  • From: Cory Petkovsek <cory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:47:41 -0700
  • Cc: kernel-panic <kplug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, euglug <eug-lug@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

ICANN,

By now you are aware of the many technical and policitical issues
regarding verisign's abuse of the DNS system.  I will therefore, discuss
the issues I feel most strongly about and add my support to your demands
that ICANN disable their wildcard domain system and support proper
reprimandation procedures.

As a business owner, if someone mistypes my domain name, I want them to
get a message that the domain can't be found.  If instead they go to
Verisign's page, it is likely they will think that the domain is no
longer valid which is obviously bad for my business and livelihood.

I believe that it is illegal these days, or near to it, to register
domains such as pepsi.com, pep-si.com, p-e-p-s-i.com and so forth,
unless I own the pepsi trademark.  If I can be punished and sued for
owning such domains, surely verisign can be found at fault 100 times
over for the many similar spellings of many trademarked domains.

One final note, Verisign is in a particularly key position:  They are
one of the major databases for top level domains.  They are also
responsible for a lot of public key root certificate signing.  Playing
such a critical role, they have a responsibility to maintain a high
degree of security and especially integrity.  Their logo says, "The
value of trust (tm)".  Yet it is clear that they only thing in which
they trust is the dollar.  They have done too many things that show they
have low integrity, and do not deserve the responsibilities for managing
such key roles in the internet.  Wild-card domains, mass mailing owners
of domains registered by other domain registries with renewal-looking
invoices, signing Microsoft's root certificates provided by someone who
did not work for microsoft.  This latest abuse of "trust" is simply
atrocious.

Please require verisign to turn off the wildcard domain and keep it off.

Thank you,
Cory Petkovsek

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your