ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Not just Verisign

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Not just Verisign
  • From: Freek Dijkstra <fdijkstr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:04:26 +0200
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I applaud ICANN's advisory demanding the removal of the .com and .net
wildcard by Verisign. However, I fear that this advisory harms the
equivalence principle.

To be precise, the following top-level zones also have wildcards:
.cc
.cx
.mp
.museum
.nu
.ph
.pw
.td
.tk
.ws

It seems to me that if ICANN makes an advisory towards VeriSign, it SHOULD
to so as well towards the delegated authorities of these domains.

If ICANN fails to do so, I fear that it will considerably weaken the
juridical basis of the VeriSign advisory because it harms the equivalence
principle.

With kind regards,
Freek Dijkstra
(speaking on behalf of myself -- and no, I'm not a lawyer, my interest comes
from previous IRTF involvements)