ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] VeriSign's Unethical Business Practices

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] VeriSign's Unethical Business Practices
  • From: "randy" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:06:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am writing to add my voice of concern to the growing tide of distrust aimed
at
VeriSign.  The company's recent hijacking of Internet traffic for personal
profit is just the
latest and most blatant example of a company who's business practices were
already
abhorrent.

As the owner of a web hosting and domain registry company, I cannot tell you
the
number of times that a new client moving to our service who was unfortunate
enough
to have originally registered their domain name with VeriSign, or it's partner
company
Network Solutions, has wound up with their domain name either failing (or
refusing) to
be transferred by VeriSign or being required to pay exorbitant fees to retain
their name
and transfer it out of VeriSign's registry.

On more than one occasion, it has taken the filing of legal action against
VeriSign for
them to act upon the transfer requests or drop fees for domains that are
legally already
owned by the client.  We have never had to resort to this with any other
registrar.

To think that we have entrusted the management of the Internet's largest TLD's
to this
company should give us all pause for thought and reason for concern.

Hoping for change,

Randy.