ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Sitefinder must remain turned off!

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Sitefinder must remain turned off!
  • From: ripclaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:20:37 +0000
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

As a network technician, I rely on programs telling me that a domain has not been registered by getting a failure response. Allowing "Sitefinder" to exist will cause severe handicaps to the entire internet community, especially with regard to troubleshooting.

Also, allowing Verisign to "hijack" all of the unregistered domains essentially gives them a monopoly on domain registration. Other companies will find it much harder to compete if customers are always directed to Verisign's services exclusively.

I feel that permitting Verisign to continue in this endeavor is a blatant breach of trust given to them when they were permitted to be the controllers of the top level DNS. They obviously cannot, and will not, maintain that service in a fiar and equitable way. Therefore I must strongly request that this right be taken away from them and given to a non-profit organization that can maintain it in the proper way.

Alternately, you must request that Verisign voluntarily give up any and all ties to businesses that make money off of registering domains. There is obviously a conflict of interests in awarding this control to a company that also profits from having this control.

Thanks you, Michael