ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Against Verisign's Wildcard Service

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Against Verisign's Wildcard Service
  • From: york@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:24:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am against Verisign's wildcard service. In short, I find it to not be useful. Beyond that there have been times that I have spent waiting for a page to load only for it to turn out to be a sitefinder page (that, by the way, took too long to load given the size of the page). Even though the branding on the site finder pages is low key, it is pretty obvious that this is an attempt at spreading brand recognition. It is a waste of bandwidth; it is much quicker to get a domain not found error and move on than to wait for a page of often useless domain suggestions to load.

Please revoke Verisign's management of the .com and .net top level domains. These domains would be better serviced by a not for profit organization.

Thank you for reading my view on this matter.

Sincerly,
Robert York
Web Developer; Net Artist