ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] sitefinder breaks DNS --- Verisign must stop!

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] sitefinder breaks DNS --- Verisign must stop!
  • From: "Thomas B. Butler" <butlert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:43:03 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am appalled at Verisign's actions with regard to their Sitefinder 'service'. There is much, much more to the Internet than the WWW and email. Practically every Internet protocol depends upon DNS, and by making every domain in .com and .net resolve, Verisign is essentially crippling all of those protocols. Either they don't understand some very fundamental concepts about the Internet, or they don't care and wish only to increase their profits with paid-for-placement 'results' on their miserable excuse for a search engine. Either way, Verisign has demonstrated that they cannot be trusted to run the .com and .net TLDs, and should be stripped of their responsibilities as soon as possible.

"The Value of Trust"???? Please, Verisign. Apparently we can't even trust you to maintain the integrity of DNS.

Thomas Butler