ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Dislike wild cards

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Dislike wild cards
  • From: Tom Unger <gate2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:41:16 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Wild card service is a fundamental change in how DNS works. That verisign implemented it with out consulting the internet engineering community is a sign of their untrustworthyness. (And this from a certificate agency we are supposed to trust!).

Personally, I think that knowing when a name maps to a intentionally registered hosts and when it does not is a useful feature of DSN. I like that my web browser tells me that the host was not found. I resent that Verisign is hyjacking traffic and distrust their ability to gather statistics about who is trying to browse to where.

Tom Unger
Seattle, WA