ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Re: VeriSign SiteFinder

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Re: VeriSign SiteFinder
  • From: "Peter Dodge" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:31:15 +0100
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

To ICANN and the SECSAC:

I am deeply satisfied that VeriSign has suspended it's sitefinder
service. It's operation coinstituted a fundamental change in the
functioning of the .com and .net top-level domains that caused many
nameservers to function improperly, my own included.

However, I am distressed by VeriSign's press release that has expressed
that there is support for the SiteFinder service and that they paln to
re-enact it. The (obviosuly biased in their favour) press release is
available here:

http://verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031007b.html?sl=070804

The fact that people prefer a search service to a complicated error
message goes without saying. However, it is my belief that this should
be a client-side choice, not one that should be forced on them by the
operator.

As well, there are many problems related to anti-spam and DNS utilities
that have been expressed by the commenters to ICANN that I need not
repeat. I will, however, strongly emphasize that these changes
constitute a fundamental change in the operation of the DNS that is
used for financial gain. Such a practice of breaking the operations of
other competitors and operators while gaining money in the process is
both unethical and unlawful, as provided by the Fair Competition Laws
in Canada. It is difficult if not impossible for other domain name
sellers to compete when verisign gains free access to domains that they
would otherwise have to pay about $9 each for.

I hope that ICANN will enforce restrictions on or completely revoke the
ability of VeriSign to operate as a domain registrar given this and
multiple past examples of it's unethical and immoral business practices.

The future of the DNS system and the ability for othe registrars to
compete hinges upon ICANN's action or inaction in the matter. Let us
all hope the ICANN will take appropriate action so that domain
registration can remain a competitive market, as in a monopoly, it is
ultimately the customers that loose out.
Peter Dodge,
Chief Executive Officer,
LiquidFire Studios

www.liquidfirestudios.com