[wildcard-comments] VeriSign's Land Grab
- To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [wildcard-comments] VeriSign's Land Grab
- From: winsom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:35:39 -0700
- Reply-to: winsom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
VeriSign must be stopped. Their greedy grab of every domain on their watch that
is not already sold is bad for everyone except them.
1. They are abusing their position.
2. They are unfairly competing.
3. They are breaking technical protocol, and thus breaking what other people
are doing/making/maintaining, including webmasters like me who need to use
link checking tools.
4. They are confusing people at the moment of error, for no reason. A person
who makes a typo when trying to get to a particular website does NOT want to
buy the domain. The typical doubly mystified person _will_ wrongly conclude
that the site they want does not exist, however, thus:
5. They are depriving existing sites of their legitimate traffic and confusing
someone else's customers.
Maybe they could pay $35 each for the ones they really want to keep and someone
more suitable could be found to act as registrar.