ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS abuse

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS abuse
  • From: Beverly Estes<comments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

As a NFP educational site, I struggle every day for ways to let people know
about my site. Spelling my domain name will always be an issue but if my
potential readers get another web site instead of an error page, they are apt
to think my site doesn't exist anymore. The standard page used by most DNS
admins gives pertinent info to the person doing the mistyping, letting them
know that there was an error made and the page was not found at that address. I
believe that since we are all so used to seeing that Error page and checking
our typing to see if WE made a mistake, the simple fact of seeing a page at a
real web site will give the impression that my site is not in service or even
that it has been taken over by someone else. By stealing these people away from
me, Verisign is effectively blocking the word of mouth advertising small sites
like mine depend upon. Somehow I really doubt that they are going to do a
public service by listing all registered domains in alphabetical !
 order.

I have signed and I agree with the petition at http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/

- Beverly Estes
ControlledChaos.net (not for profit educational site)
Longview, WA