ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS abuse

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS abuse
  • From: Tuomo Latto<djv@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

1. I like to _immediately_ see if there's no server on the other end   when I'm
surfing. VeriSign's SiteFinder prevents this.    2. Terms of service are
reported on the SiteFinder.   Since my "use" of the "service" is
_involuntarily_,   I find _any_ such terms unacceptable.    3. VeriSign should
pay me for the bandwidth they waste.    4. SiteFinder makes it impossible to
find out whether a domain name   really exists when using only DNS!!    5.
Section 4.1.1. (Header section format) of RFC1035 part of STD 0013 states:
"RCODE    Response code - this 4 bit field is set as part of responses.
    The values have the following interpretation:"   ...   "3        Name Error
- Meaningful only for responses from an authoritative             name server,
this code signifies that the domain name referenced             in the query
does not exist."   So, VeriSign's DNS servers are NON-STANDARD as they DO NOT
respond with   RCODE 3 to queries of inexistent domain names!!!

I have signed and I agree with the petition at http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/

- Tuomo Latto

Helsinki, Finland