Return to budget Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: pdeblanc@usvi.net
Date/Time: Sat, May 27, 2000 at 1:42 PM GMT (Sat, May 27, 2000 at 9:42 AM AST)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.08 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN Budget should be increased by US $ 500,000 minimum

This post does NOT address the current proposed budget in terms of validity, executive compensation, or functionality. I'll  leave that to others.

Having said that, I'd like to see an additional $ 500,000 added to the budget, such funds perhaps directed by the Names Council, to be used for outreach, public relations, and subsidy of ccTLD's who are "cash poor", who may need grants to augment technical operations and meeting attendance.

I also recommend that these fund be held apart from, and not co-mingled with ICANN internal operations.

After contacting many large corporations, I am  convinced that obtaining donations for and into this specific fund would not be difficult.

Finally, I recommend that 50% of the donations into the fund be distributed every year, and the other 50% used to establish a foundation trust, with the idea of accruing at least $5 million in 10 years, so the system could become self-sustaining and provide the annual cash requirements out of dividends and interest.

I am one of 60 members of the St. Thomas II Rotary Club. We've managed to accrue $ 500,000 in our "Rainbow Fund" in just 10 years. The $ 50,000 a year dividends are used to provide annual grants to community service organizations. Each year the fund grows, and the amoount of dividends available for distribution also increases.

This is a workable funding model.

Peter de Blanc
http://www.islands.vi/~pdeblanc

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy