Re: Does anyone in ICANN understand market competition?
Post a reply
  • To: Milton Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>, reform-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Does anyone in ICANN understand market competition?
  • From: "vinton g. cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:37:40 -0500
  • Cc: vcerf@xxxxxxx

milton why are you surprised? I was just trying to find out what is the distinction between the offerings of .name and the proposed offerings of dot iii.

vint

At 12:08 PM 12/11/2002 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Bret,
>
>why doesn't .name fulfill this need already?
>
>vint
I am surprised at this comment.

.name is purportedly a name space for individual
users, but users must fit into a hierarchical
structure controlled by the registry and it must
also use email services provided by the registry
operator.

Some consumers might like this. Others might
not. Why not let them decide?
We don't tell Toyota that we won't allow them
to sell cars because we already have GM And Ford.
Why should we tell .iii that we don't need it because
we have some tangentially related TLD?

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
WorldCom