Re: [ifwp] Re: new iana draft bylaws

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 06:59:54PM -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
> At 03:30 PM 8/4/98 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
> >There is a new draft of the proposed bylaws at the iana.org site.
> >
> >http://iana.org/bylaws2.html
>

> The most encouraging point of consensus at Geneva was on membership:

I believe you are rather seriously mis-representing this, Jay.  Let's
fill in the complete citations, shall we:
>    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/ifwp/post-geneva-consensus.html
>        3.8. The Entity shall have a Membership

3.8. The Entity shall have a Membership (based on
 incomplete notes of Membership Working
 Group)

>        3.9. Members shall elect the Board.

3.9. Members shall elect the Board. (Saturday's
 report suggested a hybrid system in which some
 Board seats are elected by technical councils while
 others are elected by open membership
 user/industry groups.)

>       3.10. Members shall have the non-exclusive right to
>             nominate Board candidates.
[based on same notes]
>       3.11. Members may vote to remove Board members.
[based on same notes]

Plus, I note that regardless of what may have come out of panel "B",
there remain clear other indications of lack of consensus on this
point.  In fact, that is why I proposed my hybrid model, because I
see a clear lack of consensus on this point.

> I believe that the new IANA draft is a long way from consensus
> on this point:	http://iana.org/bylaws2.html
>

> 6.  There was considerable discussion in Geneva, as there has been
> elsewhere, of whether the New IANA should be a membership
> organization, and if so, how it should operate.  Ignoring for the
> moment any philosophical differences, the practical and logistical
> considerations impacted by such a decision are substantial, and seem
> unlikely to be resolved to a consensus in the time available to create
> the New IANA.  Therefore, Section 3 of Article VII charges the Initial
> Board and the Supporting Organizations with the responsibility of
> considering whether there is a practical way to permit individual
> memberships or other forms of individual participation, and to create
> such mechanisms as they are determined to be practical and to advance
> the purposes of the New IANA.

In any case, this is draft text, and there are at least two more
meetings in which this issue can be aired.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...