Re: [ifwp] Re: new iana draft bylaws

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> The fundamental premise of the proposed structure is that there is to be a
> nearly powerless, figurehead board of directors which exercises minimal
> control over a set of highly autonomous "supporting organizations" in
> which all substantive power is to be found.

Here you are second guessing Postel's intent. This is wrong for two
reasons. First, by second guessing his intent you are not focussing on the
important issue which is crafting a workable organizational structure. And
secondly, this incorrect focus leads *AWAY* from an atmosphere in which
consensus and compromise can be reached.

Postel's intent is irrelevant. He has placed a proposal on the table. If
there are parts that could be changed to make it a good proposal, then
tell us what those changes would look like. Most of us are not lawyers and
are entirely uninterested in arcane legal arguments and much expounding
onw why this is bad and why that won't work.

We want to see workable proposals and we want to see workable suggestions
to replace parts of the proposals on the table. We want an evolutionary
process that leads to the goal of a new IANA. We do not want a divisive
process that leads back to chaos.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael@memra.com