Re: [ifwp] Re: WIPO's Washington Meeting

[ Martin Swimmer wrote: ]

.  .  .
> >2) Regulation by a guild is no more attractive than regulation by
> >government.  In fact, it is less attractive, as government has an
> >obligation to protect the public interest.
> >

> Who has proposed regulation by guild?  Can you expand your view on proper
> regulation?

Actually, allowing SOs to both propose polciy, and then
sit in judgement on policy could be construed as just
that.

> >3) Had the "enhancement of commerce" test demanded by TM holders for new
> >domains been applied to the Internet as a whole in 1990, we would not now
> >have a commercial Internet.

And that seems to imply that DNS is the only reason the
commercial Internet came into existance. Sorry, as someone
who's been on the net since before then, I can't say I buy
that.

.  .  .
> medium is a commercial failure.  TM interests do believe that in any sphere
> of commerce, brand protection is necessary, which is not an absurd thought.
>  Healthy mature economies do not base themselves on the counterfeiting sector.

Just to show I'm not a crusty curmudgeon, I do endorse
this sentiment entirely.

					- peterd

     Peter Deutsch,                                   (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                     (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <peterd@bunyip.com>                               http://www.bunyip.com

"How come there's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?"