At the same time in another corner of the galexy. [Fwd: gotta love those internic boyz]

--------------3E47AA914DB2CB1DFF3EAD61

People,

[See forwarded message from NANOG below regarding root namserver problems]

While Nero fiddles, Rome burns. Another fine example of the exceptional
service the Internic is providing to the Internet community.

This should also be taken as a warning for future gTLD holders.

The only good lab simulation of the Internet is the Internet. Take it from
me I have crushed 7513s because my "for profit" boss could not see the
"profit" in building a robust (and hence more expensive) network. Of course
his stupidly only slowed our growth. Demand was (is) so high, and the
customers so clue less that even bad Internet can sell. In any event, reality
eventually forced change but only after screaming, ulcers and lost sleep.

And BTW everything that failed was supposedly within manufacturer
specifications. It was just that the nature of Internet traffic just
ain't the same as the generated kind in the lab.

Stability of gTLDs also depends on bandwidth between servers and stability
of the registries routes. If the root servers can't get updates then the
users of that gTLD are in trouble. Any schema used demands that the
registries have good connectivity.

I do not doubt that some vendors of gTLDs will fall flat on their faces.
What mechanism will allow ICANN or whoever to pick up the pieces an give
the cheated customers other choices? If a registry fails in it's charter
the supervising organization must have the explicit power to moving the
service to a more qualified provider.

In other words; the registry should not have exclusive ownership of the
database (as NSI would have it) after the revocation of a gTLD charter.

It takes a lot more than a hack of bind and a marketing department to run
a registry.

Operational stability must be maintained during the addition of new top
level domains. Whether the registry is no profit, for profit, a cooperative,
or run as a religion; what does it matter? If the functional output is
within specified parameters do we care how the black box is constructed?
Specified parameters should be made by the supervising organization and
not the registries. So if the Vatican is running the .faith TLD we don't
care unless the violate the supervising organizations non discrimination
parameter and refuse to register devil-worship.faith, wica.faith or
pro-abortion.fath. At which point the supervision organization would be
compelled the revoke the Vatican's faith charter.