cc ps

Hi

Please be kind enough to help me to get some information regarding country code two letters in the domain name presentation.  In an Israeli newspaper I read lately that the Palestinian Authority got from some U.N agencies the country code letters ps for their domain names, . as  I know IANA is the  authority for this kind of allocation. I would like to know what is the role of IANA in allocating the cc codes in general and specific what the scope of involvment  in the ps allocation to the Palestinian authority.

Sincerely Yours

Michael Eitan