WWW name hording by register companys

We looked into a certain name on monday of two of three domain names and
they showed available thru register.com, on wednesday two of the three was
taken.  We then looked into wo registered the names and show bogus
information on the partys involved, we suspect this company employess of
taking the entered information from the database inquires and registering
the names themselves or with affiliates to hold these names for extortion.