Re: Tired of Waiting

    From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com>

    > it's *critical* that the *Registry* for a new TLD be operated as a
    > public trust, not as someone's way to "make money fast".

    You really don't want to go the "public trust" route. ... but there is a
    specific legal meaning to the words "public trust".

Sorry, I wasn't using it in the jargon sense, but in the general meaning "i.e.
for the public good".

    > ask yourself how you'd feel once your snappy URL
    > http://my_name.new_tld/foo/bar is embedded in 10,000 web pages
    > world-wide, and your for-profit Registry then ups the rate to $1,000
    > per month....

    There are folks out there that are perfectly capable of blowing their own
    brains out too. ... Similarly for such a Registry. The customers would be
    inconvenienced, but they'll go to another Registry

Unfortunately, the suicide analogy doesn't apply, because in committing
commercial suicide, they're shooting you too.

    sueing the pants of their old one as they go. You do realize that such a
    move is a legal breach of contract don't you? There *are* remedies
    available for such breaches.

If their contact includes terms that guarantee *future* prices, then you'd
have a cause of action. If not, you're probably out of luck.

	Noel