Re: WIPO and ITU

Michael and all,

Michael Dillon wrote:

> Notice this statement in the recent draft from Postel...
>
>       Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, no elected or
>       appointed official of a national government or a multinational
>       entity established by treaty or other agreement between national
>       governments shall be a Director.

  Though this is somewhat hardening, it still leaves allot to be desired.  For
instance,
It doesn't cover other organizations such as ARIN, ISOC, IAB, IANA, IETF, ect.

  BTW, where did you get this quote Michael?

> This ought to be heartening to those folks who feared that WIPO and ITU
> had carved a permanent position for themselves. You'll note that I always
> said the gTLD-MoU/POC/PAB/CORE policies were not carved in stone and that
> if people really did not want WIPO or ITU in such prominent positions that
> could be changed. Well, now it *IS* being changed.

  True.  But as I said above, is this far enough?

> I would hope that in the light of these changes folks would take another
> look at what POC/PAB/CORE already have in place and see what can be
> salvaged from that process. If POC/PAB/CORE are open to change then
> perhaps their former opponents could join them and we could get the domain
> names council portion of the new IANA dealt with sooner rather than later.

  This would be a wonderful thing indeed.  But it is doubtfull to happen as
those
folks are still practicing and promoting their espoused and questionable
behaviors openly and possible illegally.
http://www.corenic.org/press_releases/july15.htm  <----example.

> --
> Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
> Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael@memra.com
> Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.