Re: U.S. Postal Service proposal: restricting domain names to street addresses

Michael --  I certainly agree with you that any service such as the one
I've described should be optional -- frankly, I don't think the USPS
would even TRY to make it mandatory.

Moreover, as several people have pointed out, the idea of a link between
email addresses and geographic addresses may or may not be a good one,
but it can stand or fall on its own merits; it is NOT inherently linked
to the idea of the USPS controlling the .US domain.  The only reason
they're associated at all is that the USPS asked me, a few months ago,
"if we controlled the .US domain, what constructive things might we do
with it?" and this was one of my suggestions -- and, given the
assumption that USPS controls .US, this still strikes me as a useful
thing to do with it.  That doesn't mean it justifies USPS taking over
.US, of course.  In any event, I certainly don't intend to put myself in
the position of defending the current USPS proposal.    -- Nathaniel

--------
Unless all existence is a medium of revelation, no particular revelation is
possible.	-- William Temple

Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb+faq@guppylake.com>